So, I went searching for a training program. You can find training programs for just about anything, and this is no exception. Except....the training for this bad boy seems to be a 26 week program, assuming that I can comfortably walk 6 miles (comfortably). I can comfortably walk about 2 miles, 3 with no hill. So, back to the beginners program for ol' me.
If I know one thing, it is that you really do need to train. Desirae did this, and I do not know that she consistently trained. I do know, however, that she ended up in a boot due to the tendonitis she got in her ankle as a result of this particular walk a thon. Thus, train I will. Given the weight loss competition I am currently losing (see the other blog under my profile), I think it makes sense to start now - no time like the present!
The beginners program is:
Week 1: Start with a daily 15 minute walk at an easy pace. Walk five days the first week. We want to build a habit, so consistency is important. Spread out your rest days, such as making day 3 a rest day and day 6 a rest day. Weekly total goal: 60 - 75 minutes.
Week 2: Add 5 minutes a day so you are walking 20 minutes, 5 days a week. Or you may wish to extend yourself more on some days, followed by a rest day. Weekly total goal: 75 - 100 minutes.
Week 3: Add 5 minutes a day so you are walking 25 minutes, 5 days a week. Weekly total goal: 100 - 125 minutes.
Week 4: Add 5 minutes a day to walk 30 minutes, 5 days a week. Weekly total goal: 125 - 150 minutes.
1 comment:
Yeah for blogging! I am serious about walking with you - I just can't commit the time it would take to really train for the event but I can walk often! We'll just have to find paths wide enough for the double stroller : )
Post a Comment