Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Hmmmm, donations anyone?

I used to work with a guy named Jasen when I was with Deloitte.  Very nice kid, had never heard of Guns & Roses, grew up in Hawaii, a little naive (to me), but a very nice kid.   He and I are facebook friends now.  He used to try to recruit me to his current consulting company, promising me riches and lots of travel and freedom.  Ahhh, naive Jasen.... So nowadays, Jasen travels a lot, visiting friends, going to races. Loves his job.  He visits his familiy in Hawaii a lot.   Apparently the company has worked out for him. 

I had seen on his facebook that another thing he had done was some Mission work in Manila.  Now, I am not really down with the religious mumbo jumbo, as you all know.  However, it did seem like they had done some nice things there.  This week I got a note asking if I wanted to put my training to a good use, for a cause, and my first thought was 'Please dont make me raise any goddamned money', so I told him that I really didn't want to raise any money, because I bled everyone dry last year, and peeps deserve a break.  

As a response, he asked if I would be willing to donate to him then, in support of a non-profit that he has put together.   They are gathering books, and will be going back to Manila to build a childrens' library to house the books.  It is affiliated to a church, but doesn't seem too 'churchy'.  He shares my passion for impoverished children.  Unlike me, he acts on it.  To raise money to send the folks back to Manila, he is doing a number of triathlons to raise money - specifically the Lake Stevens 70.3 Half Ironman, and he has entered the raffle for entry to the Kona Ironman championships (they allow raffle entry, with a preference towards 'causes').

http://firstgiving.com/jasenoda

Sigh.  You all may be getting hit up for donations, afterall, this year.  What do you think?  Stay tuned.

No comments: