I ran my first 10K today, and as a result, I have, yet again, extended the distance that I ran - out to 6.2 miles! I am too tired and need to take a nap, so below is the quick race recap that I just emailed out to Running Coachy (Keep in mind, the last time I did a 5K, my time was around 40 min...):
I am really happy with my results with this race! I think that the clock said 1:16, and they told me I got around 1:16. I actually was at the back of the pack off the start, so I may have gotten just below 1:16. :)
I forgot to start my watch at the beginning, and then, when the first '15 min' dinged, I was in such a good groove that I kept going for a couple minutes until that waned. So, my first interval was probably about 25 min. After that, I ran in intervals around 15 to 20 min, but made sure to walk up the 2 hills, because my calf was bugging me a bit (it is definately the calf itself, not the shin).
The first half I believe it said 38:47 when I ran by, and then about 8-10 min in, I started sucking down some nasty Hammer Gel, because I really felt out of energy. It actually wasnt too bad once I got used to it. I kept pulling that thing out and eating a bit more every 10 min or so, and I really do think that it helped. I think that I negative split my second half by a little less than a minute.
At the end, 2 different ladies told me that they had been using me to pace off of because I was so consistent, and one of them said she had tried but couldnt quite catch me (the other one passed me right at the end). Both of these gals were more seasoned than me, so that was a bit of a confidence boost. :)
This race was really nice, and the people who ran it were really nice and had it together. I would definately recommend this series to other folks. They had hot oatmeal with toppings at the end (and also some fruit and bagels), and they had plenty of folks out around the course directing us, with little easy to spot signs for mileage, etc. I think they said about 250 folks had registered, so it was also a nice size.
Just ice bathed - oy, the water gets really cold out of my faucet. Now for a nap. :D
Oh - and a super cool aside - I used to walk down hills too, because of my knee, but I found that I could just cruise down these!! :) another small win and proof that my body is agreeing with what I am doing to it.
1 comment:
Great job Kim!!! You are inspiring me to think about running which is something I've never done before. Thinking about running is a long way from actually running but it's a start!
Post a Comment