Earlier this week, I started consistently getting off work at a time that most people would consider to be 'normal', sometime within the 5 o'clock hour. So, on Wednesday, I wandered on up to the lake to try my first attempt at swimming to the tree. I didnt get out there until almost 8, and didn't want to get stuck out there after dark, so I was limited by time, a bit.
The bad news is that I didn't get all the way to the tree. The less bad news is that I did manage to do about 600 m (estimated) in about the same amount of time that I did the 400 m swim in Issaquah on the 5th.
It is still bad news, although less so, because I spent a good amount of the swim on my back. That damn wetsuit is still so hard to breathe in! I did get some attempt at a freestyle in, but I had to swim with my head out of the water just about the entire time. NOT GOOD.
This morning, I decided to attempt it again. The TN team had a mini-tri workout at Seward park. So I went down there, and found that there are a few other ladies that also struggle with the swim. However, I also decided, after about 10 strokes out, that I was not going to be swimming today. I was panting when i got back to the coaches, like I had swam 3 lengths straight - actually, no I only swam 4 strokes. UGH!!!
On a much more positive note, however, the bike and the run felt pretty swell. I rode to the I-90 bridge and back (about 8 miles) and then ran around the park (about 2.9 miles, I think), then did the ride to I-90 again. I did the 2nd bike ride completely in the aero position (down over the straight bars, on my elbows) and was totally faster than when sitting up. I would be slugging along at about 14.6 miles an hour, then in aero, with the same amount of effort, I would look down and be going around 17 miles an hour. Defintately I need to get used to doing that more often. It felt great! Also, running off the bike still feels slow, but I didnt feel as bad as I have previously, so I am just going to have to practice this more.
Coach T recommends I go on down to Speedy Reedy and try on a bunch of wetsuits that are lighter and more elastic, and find one that doesnt feel like I have a tournequet around my chest. So, I may see about doing that next weekend, if not sometime this week. I will also try to sell my wetsuit. It has only been used about 10 times total, so I think it should sell ok.
The good news is that Martha Lake has been pretty warm. I may just go out there and start swimming without the wetsuit. 15 min out then turn around. Maybe if I improve, I will make it all the way to the tree and back?
1 comment:
You will make it to the tree and back. Just get there once and there will be no option!
Post a Comment