Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Chelanman Pre-race report

I was sitting downstairs pondering how sadly not interesting So You Think You Can Dance is without Alex (sigh), and now that my fav girl dancer was also injured, so I thought I would come write up a bloggy blog.

(For the record, I have recently blogged more often than who? Ah, you who is probably reading this, thats who!)

I had a last swim session (lesson) with T, and this time we went out to Green Lake, rather than to the pool. I am glad, I got a second opinion on whether I am crazy or if it is the wetsuit. Result? I am crazy AND it just may be the wetsuit. I was able to swim for short distances in the suit, but I was able to swim more easily and catch my breath again without it. I swam about half of the time with the suit, and then took it off. According to T - it isnt just my head - I really do even appear to be swimming better without. So, I may end up swimming without at Chelanman.

Last night at track, I felt stronger on my run, and also there were two girls that ran my speed to run with!! This was super exciting. They were both cool girls too, we chatted the whole time we ran. I am hoping they both regularly start coming to track. Woohoo! Also super exciting, one of them, B for this blog, is also doing Chelanman. Everything one of us would say, the other would say 'omg, me too!!' I think she may also be staying out by Eniat, at least she says she has relatives there.

B is apparently a self proclaimed wetsuit whore. I would also be a tri-gear whore, but at this point, I need to get paid for my services more than I need to pay for them.... Thus, no whoring for me. However, it does look like B has a wetsuit that may work better than mine (mine is a very stiff material, and is hard to move in). She is going to bring it to the Friday morning swim, so I will try it out. I sure hope it works better than my damn suit (anybody wanna buy a wetsuit? I will sell it for a steal!)

So, how am I feeling about this race? This could be almost verbetim the post I wrote before Issaquah. I am still pretty concerned about the swim, but for very different reasons.

Once you get past the swim, I am super excited though.

T1 - I think that if I can get myself to a jog going into T1, and just get my stuff and go, then I should be able to cut down on my time there. In retrospect, rather than sitting, I should catch my breath from the swim while on my bike, rather than in T1.

Bike - I am going to take my energy treats and put them somewhere easier to get to this time. Also MORE WATER!! I am hoping this will keep me feeling more energetic by the run. I was told today that the bike course is easier than Issaquah, so I am hopeful that I can improve there, given that my speed has been a teeny tiny bit better in the last couple weeks.

T2 - Assuming I remember to take my gloves and helmet off, it should be a no brainer to improve here.

Run - I have been running at track at about 15 seconds faster per 400 than I was a month and a half ago. This translates to about a minute per mile. I am just hoping I can keep this up off the bike!

So --- If I can just get past the dang swim, I am really hopeful for the results! My public goals - Beat the times on my last race.

No comments: