Sometime on Wednesday, I decided I wanted to do a Triathlon this weekend. I contemplated the Beaver Lake race, but after seeing how hilly the course was, I decided not to. Then, on the way home from driving that course, I remembered there would be a race in Monroe this weekend, and that it was almost a completely flat course. Thus, I decided to do that race. Wow, wish I hadn't. The race was a disappointment in every sense of the word. To start off, it was delayed 20 minutes for fog. Yep, fog delay. In August.
Results:
Kimberly Everheart Swim 16:46.5 T1 2:10.6 Bike 58:07.8 T2 2:09.1 Run 44:07.2 Total 2:03:21.2
Swim - I have been training really well in the swim. I have been doing the 800 m swim in Martha Lake, and doing a good freestyle for most of it. Sure, I have to stop and breathe, and I am pretty slow, but my timings have been about 12 to 14 minutes each way, on average, which is pretty smokin' fast, for me. But put me in a race, and wowsa - tragic. So, this was no different. I didnt take advantage of the delay time to warm up, or get water in my wetsuit, etc, and when I started swimming, I had an experience similar to Issaquah, although not nearly as extreme. I found myself doing a modified freestyle with my head out of the water, watching as all the other yellow caps passed me. Silver lining - I did it consistently through the whole race, rather than having to stop, or doggy paddle or breaststroke, or turn on my back. Ok, it may be a grey lining, not silver.
T1 - I guess this is another silver lining - I wasnt completely dead tired out of breath after the pansyass swim. So, I actually jogged back to transition, and had my cap and goggles off, as well as the top of my wetsuit well before getting back there. I sat down only to put on my shoes, not to catch my breath. I have ditched the gloves. All this adds up to a big improvement in T1.
Bike - I felt like weak sauce the whole ride. Not my best, and not nearly as good as my training has been lately. I had been without my bike for a couple weeks as it the wheel was screwy and then it was visiting Mr. Crampy for a tune up, so I guess not so bad for not having been on a bike in 2 weeks. I apparently passed 3 people in the bike, but way more from the wave behind me passed me, and given that they were all at least 40, that kinda sucks. On a bright note, the scenary out there was gorgeous, I will definately work that into my usual ride routes. Cassies smiling (and screaming) face was there to greet me into T2, which was awesome.
T2 - I managed to run out without my belt/number and had to run back in. If not for that mishap, I would have had a better time. Still - I continue to improve my transitions.
Run - Wow, can you say suck? I felt ok running out, and saw that Dave and Emma were there with Cassie - they sang the badgerbadgerbadger song as I ran past. As soon as I hit the cement though, my shinsplints kicked in. BAD. I haven't had them this bad since the 3 day walk last year. When I would walk, my shins hurt even more, but if I jogged, my calves hurt along with my shins. I couldnt win. So, I jogged gingerly along for about 2 and a half miles, when (like clockwork), the pain went away and I finished strong. I was really frustrated, because if not for the pain, I would have run much faster. I didn't even break a sweat on this run, or breathe hard. If I had managed to trip over a starting line, it would have been almost a repeat of the notorious Torchlight run last year. Well, I guess the time on this one was still 15 min faster, so not quite.
Overall - UGH. I had high hopes this would be the race where it all came together. Alas, not to be.
No comments:
Post a Comment