1) be less cluttered
2) be more financially responsible
3) get fit.
How did I do? Well, I have actually de-cluttered quite a bit. My 2nd bedroom used to be full of partially unpacked boxes and general crap and clutter. Now, it is generally cleaned out. Also, I managed to get my garage mostly cleaned out of all of the home improvement remnants and (again) partially unpacked boxes. I do still have a ways to go though. I may have to just have a slightly different flavor of this one carry forward next year. Hmmm.
Now, for financial responsibility - on the positive side, I have now gone two years without getting foreclosed on! Seriously though, without going into too much detail, I have actually gotten much better with my finances this year. Only me, my mortgage guy and my friend who dubbed me her 'most irresponsible friend', oh and those who have lived with me for any length of time know just how bad I am with my money, and therefore how far I have to strive from. So, probably this one will have to stay on my list for another year, but again, in a slightly different flavor.
Ah, lastly, the wonderful - Get fit! The resolution we all joyfully begin our year with, and then promptly discard. Ah, yes. At some point during the year, I had to have a major wakeup call - I am not 25 anymore, and it is going to be much harder to reach any fitness goals than it used to be. Also, I realized I still use my knee as an excuse, and Christ (!) - I tore my knee up in 2002!!! Really, it has been too long for me to still use the excuse. So I started from baby steps. When I started training for the 3 day, I could barely walk a full mile without feeling sore the next day. That was sometime in late December, I suppose. In a nutshell, I am still a total fatass (not happy 'bout that, nope), but I am definately more fit. The babystepping route has been working for me. So, after gettting winded jogging across the street to my mailbox at the beginning of the year, this year I accomplished:
1) Training for the 3 day - some weekends I literally woke up, walked, went home, ate, slept and woke up to do it all over again the next day.
2) I actually did the 3 day! Because of the pain of my shin splints, I was not able to finish all 60 miles. I estimate that I did about 50 miles. Which, I guess is still pretty respectable. Glad I did that one, but won't ever do it again, nope.
3) 3 5k's - I had issues with my July 5k, and turned in a stellar 54 minute time after tripping over the starting line. With that poor taste in my mouth, I stopped running altogether. I started up again in October, after recouperating from the 3 day. My first assignment from my trainer was to walk 5 minutes, and then do 6 intervals of a 1 min jog and a 1 min walk. It totally wiped me out. So, 2 months and 2 5k's later, my time is down to about 41 min, and I am managing to have no pain. The other day, I sprinted (well, a sprint for me) across a parking lot to my car and back, and I wasn't out of breath at all.
4) Got a gym membership.....AND USED IT. Yep, really. No, really, I do know what the inside of that place looks like!
Overall, I think I was most successful with resolution number 3. Obviously I have more work to do there too, though. Perhaps I will end up with all the same resolutions? We shall see. Honestly, with how much of a time commitment that the dang 3 day took up, and all the money it sucked out of my pockets, I am surprised I was able to even think twice about the first two.
2 comments:
Make another resolution to blog more!! Yeah for all your success this year - keep up the good work!
you are no longer my most irresponsible friend Kim, congrats on all your work this year!!!
Post a Comment