Sunday, April 12, 2009

Walky, Bikey and Tiger Balm!

Well, one more week has gone by, and I did all the training I was supposed to do, short maybe a mile! Woo hoo. I have reached the groove (knock on wood) where I feel like I have missed a step if I go to sleep and haven't done some sort of walk or something.

Last we met, I had dragged my laziness out to walk Tuesday. Wednesday I had off - don't worry, all these 'days off' won't last long.

Thursday, I went on down to Kirkland and wandered around. First, I walked down Lake Drive. Boy, there are some doozies of houses RIGHT ON THE LAKE down there. Then, I walked back and tried some cupcakes as the cupcake shop across the street from Cactus!. They were a bit disappointing. Because they do the frosting so pretty, it looks wonderful, but the frosting gets a little crunchy. The chocolate cupcake was a bit dry. I ate the red velvet the next day, and it was pretty good, but I make better. Thus - I was still disappointed. So, that makes yet another cupcake place I have tried - still Cupcake Royale is the best!

Friday, I decided to get myself a bicycle. I had thought about going down to the gym and getting a gym membership so that I could ride on the exercise bikes down there. But then, I thought that was somewhat silly because 1) I knew that I would literally only use the cycle bikes and 2) I got a helmet last year and then talked myself out of 'spending that damn much on a bike'. 3) I do want to do another triathlon, and that requires a bike and 4) I am AMAZINGLY jealous when it gets sunny and my neighbor gets out his bike. And I stand there and look longingly as he rides away. So, I went on in to REI and decided to get a bike. Since I have not really owned a bike since my powder blue 3-speed I had when I was 10, the guy at REI thought I should get a comfort bike. After seeing a few different bikes, I agreed. Behold my new bike, aka Babysize II:

I went ahead and got the requisite gear - spare inner tube, wedgepack, multi tool, portable tire pump and water bottle holder. I brought it home and rode around a bit - perfect for my 15 min cross train. Boy, my but hurts from that seat. That will take some getting used to.
On Saturday, I got up and wandered around Kirkland with Misty 1. The rest of the team were no shows, but Misty and I got a good 5 mile walk in - from downtown, down past Carillon point, up to Houghtan and back downtown.
Today, I had some soreness, so I broke down and got some Tigerbalm. It smells awful, but all my 'real athlete' friends swear by it. The non-stinky patches are pretty pricy, so I broke down. This evening, I only got about a mile and a half in, but I think that is ok. Yesterdays walk was longer than scheduled.
Overall, hamstring is still bugging me. I really wish it would stop! Still no knee pain - knocking very hard on wood.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I really want to get a bike, let's chat about how you like the one you got...